Whether you are a private school, state school, grammar school or Law school student you all have to do one task each day, pack the school bag. When I was a nipper it was easy, Puma bag with one huge compartment for boots and kit, and a pocket for everything else. Things evolve of course and the need to play for England is now suppressed somewhat buy aiming for degree or apprenticeship. In the feature theme of work smart and think smart join us as we take the essential guide to what to pack for school.
Step 1: Finding the right Bag or Case
Its all in the bag, there are so many options here, back packs or ruck sacks, holdalls to sports bags, all the way up to brief cases. A bag is a personal item that is heavily connected to your personality your own branding. Would Alex P Keaton carry his books in a ruck sack, no, brief case all the way. So depending who you are as a person and where you are in your academic journey with dictate allot about the bag you choose for school. Lets get out of the way the essentials:
When Choosing a Bag, size really does matter
Using the British system of Education, Nursery to Primary school, the bag needs to carry your lunch box and jumper, Secondary school, is the era of the text books going home so needs space for a few a4 size text books, College is the time of the A4 folder and University is where multiple folders and lecture books need to be transported to and from lectures.
You cannot go far wrong with a bag that can hold 3-4 A4 size books, or for older folks, a set of A4 folders. Top tip if going out to buy your bag take along the books you intend to use the bag for, put them inside and actually zip it up. Check that the rounded corners of the bag can contain the square corners of the folder. If buying on line, check the descriptions and also possibly delve into the reviews. Often reviews on Amazon or eBay buyers up load pictures of their bag in use, either positive or negative they help form your views of purchase.
Anything larger than A4 and your bag is really in the speciality segment. Draftsmen, architects, folks transporting puzzles or papers that must not get folded.
A0 Size Cases
Blueprint sleeves Böck KG A0 900 x 1280 mm 5-pack protective blueprint sleeves blueprint protectors document protectors DIN A0 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 protective sheet waterproof bags film protective cover ZIP bag
- Dimensions of Böck blueprint sleeves: 900 x 1280 mm (DIN A0)
- Blueprint sleeves and protective blueprint sleeves: Material thickness: 110 µm
- Blueprint sleeves and document protectors with sliding zip closure (smooth, waterproof)
- Weatherproof, tearproof, durable, can be labelled, saves time & money
- Protective sheet and document protectors made of high-quality PE film, for construction plans, etc.
- (Notes from the product sellers on Amazon)
Artwork portfolio Folder A0. The internal measurements of the Designer Cases are: A0 – 130 x 93 x 7cm . This is a Heavy Duty BIG case suitable for board or paper size 1250 X 900 MM or 36″ x 50″ Inches. Its stiff stand alone case. A0 Heavy duty Artwork Carry Case Art Artist Portfolio Folder Case Artwork Protection Black. Heavy Duty, water-resistant fabric 70mm gusset Optional side reinforcement for rigidity and protection Adjustable shoulder strap Side comfort grip handle only comes with A0 & A1 size. (Notes from the product sellers on Amazon)
- Made of heavy duty water resistant fabric
- Ideal for transporting conventional artwork or large display panels
- Side comfort grip handle on A1 and A0
- Optional side reinforcement for rigidity and protection
- Sizes available A0, A1, A2 and A3
- 70mm internal gusset
External dimensions (w x h)
- A0 1260 × 915mm
- A1 875 × 660mm
- A2 670 × 490mm
- A3 480 × 365mm
- (Notes from the product sellers on Amazon)
A1 Size Cases
STAY ORGANIZED WITH A FUNCTIONAL STUDENT PORTFOLIO: With the Artistik art work portfolio carrier case you’ll never have to worry about transporting or storing your art work again. Our artist portfolio case is made from durable weather-resistant material which means that the rain or mother nature will not stop you! Use for university and around campus to easily transport your sketches, sketchbooks, drawings, paintings and artist materials (Notes from the product sellers on Amazon)
- Jakar A1 (62cm X 88cm) Portfolio Case
- Featuring Soft Canvas Style Fabric, Two Full Length Zipped Pockets, Should Strap, Handle & Reinforced Leather Corners For Added Durability
- Perfect For Keeping Your Work Safe And Secure
- (Notes from the product sellers on Amazon)
DURABLE & WATER RESISTANT: This Art Portfolio’s durable all weather and water resistant design allows for easy transporting in all types of conditions while keeping your work flat and dry. The sturdy, wrap-around zipper closure opens on all sides so you can lay the portfolio flat on a table or floor making it easy to insert or remove your presentation materials inside. (Notes from the product sellers on Amazon)
A3 Size Cases
A3 Artist Portfolio Case – Art Presentation Storage Bag – Weather Resistant Supply Case Portfolios with Shoulder Strap for Students & Professional Artists (A3 18.3″x14″x1.7″, Black)
- Good Quality: The A3 plastic folders is made of PVC material, The plastic zip wallets A3 is foldable, wear-resisting and waterproof.
- Perfect Size: The A3 mesh zip wallet is slightly bigger than A3 size. Zip wallets A3 is approx. 43 x 30.5cm/16.9 x 12inch. A3 plastic wallets with zip is easy to hang, open and carry.
- Upgraded Design: Plastic wallets A3 is Translucent with Zipper and rope hook design. zipper of the A3 folder with plastic wallets is very Strong, smooth and sturdy. This A3 zipper file bags much better quality than ordinary A3 wallets plastic. (Product notes from Amazon)
Ruck Sacks or Back Packs
Bags by Guivitu review of 6000 reviews
Guivitu mage bags for boys and girls for school, with small pockets and attachments to make the bag stand out, made out of a Oxford waterproof material. These bags come with a classic tote lunch bag accessory.
4934 customers who brought this bag on Amazon rated it as a 5 star product
The material is soft to the touch, water resistant, has secure fastenings and is really well made. It appears fashionable in presentation but highly functional for secondary school use. There is also option for USB internal charger for charging up the phone.
Bulk of the 5 Star reviewers were from parents or grand parents who purchased the bag for a secondary school child about to start school or was part way through secondary education, with the outstanding comment they where more than happy with the purchase.
Low rating comments appear to be from France and Germany, its not too clear if its the same product or different batches. The higher ratings are in English, the low star ratings are in German. Just an Observation.
Other Considerations when looking for a bag
- make sure that it is waterproof
- that it has pockets for folders and stuff
- that it also has pockets for other non-essential stuff.
- that it has a water bottle and umbrella holders.
- this is optional but some bags has us charger to charge your phone all you need for that is your own block charger.
- a neutral colour, bags that have more patterns are more likely to be more expensive and many schools have rules for a neutral colour and no pattern bag.
- that it has good material so you won’t have to buy a new bag for a long time.
Now for the fun stuff! what to put in your school bag
Step 2: Sorting and removing junk from your bag
ok, here are the 1-5 steps to sorts out the junk, books,text-books, tissues, pens, and pencils into your new bag or cleaned bag.
- Ok so the first one is buying the new bag or you don’t but you need to then clean it. By doing this you can have a new canvas, like a new fresh start, so now you can start on the fun part of the organising part.which is the next point.
- ok so now you must lay all the things that you really need on a clear empty table and lay the most important, everyday things that you need like books and text-books, pencils and pens, stationery, etc.
- Then have a think where is everything going to go and it will always stay there and not go anywhere else.here is s few ideas that you might want to use, for a book I suggest that you use the pockets for folders in so nothing gets folded inside and everything is smooth and kept away, for pencils and pens I would use the smaller pockets for those.
- then after you have made a plan of where everything is going o go then I would start thinking is their anything that you can purchase that you are missing like a diary or a planner that you might need or a sketchbook so I recommend that you have a think if there is anything that you might need and don’t have.
- finally, you can now place all your things inside the bag give it a good clean and I do recommend having like a sent bag like a little bag of lavender so you have a nice cozy feel when you get something out of your school bag.
Step 3: Extra things to put in your new school bag
yes, there are many things that you can add, but you really need to focus on schoolwork than extra things that could distract you while you are meant to be studying. Here is a list of things that you can add that also could help you in study/school time:
- a diary/planner
- some fancy pens to get you motivated
- an mp3 player for when you are on the bus you can put some study music and feel a little for focused and relaxed.
- stress toys (remember don’t to add to many!)
- an extra reading book (just in case you forget the one that you are actually reading!)
And that’s how you Organise you schoolbag, when you get home from school you will know where everything is, which is an accomplishment (well done!) and all you have to do now is study……. here is a link on an article i wrote about: Tips| When is the good time to study? have a look and enjoy it!
Pictures from: Sun Lingyan, Source Unsplash